For Easter dinner we are going to mom’s house.
I have been trying to decide what I should take.
I am going to make a cornbread salad.
Here is the recipe I am going to try.
Servings: 6 servings Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 30 min Difficulty: Easy
1 batch cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes, recipe follows
1 (14.5-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can niblet corn, drained
1 medium Vidalia onion, finely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1 (8-ounce) bottle ranch dressing
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
Cornbread: 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 1/4 cup for greasing pan 1 cup self-rising cornmeal 3/4 cup self-rising flour 1 cup cream-style corn 2 eggs 1 cup sour cream 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar, optional 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
In the bottom of a large glass bowl, place cornbread cubes. Layer beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and cheese on top of cornbread. Spread ranch dressing evenly over cheese. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Cornbread: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Generously season a cast iron skillet with up to 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Preheat the pan either in the oven or on the stove over medium-high heat.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Pour batter into the preheated cast iron skillet. Place skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. If making individual size cornbreads in smaller pans, they will require a shorter cooking time.
Yield: 8 servings
Bunny Butt Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow or white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box Tray or cardboard covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
- 1 container Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- Red food color
- 1 large marshmallow, cut in half
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- Green food color
- 2 strawberry or cherry stretchy and tangy taffy candies (from 6-oz bag)
- 1 roll Betty Crocker® Fruit Roll-Ups® punch berry chewy fruit snack (from 5-oz box)
- 3 green-colored sour candies, separated into strips
- Construction paper
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Grease 1 1/2-quart ovenproof bowl (8 inches across top) with shortening; coat with flour (do not use cooking spray). Lightly grease 3 muffin cups in regular-size muffin pan.
2. Make cake batter as directed on box. Pour cake batter in 3 muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Pour remaining batter into 1 1/2-quart bowl.
3. Bake cupcakes 17 to 21 minutes, bowl 47 to 53 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cakes from muffin cups and bowl; place rounded sides up on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour. If necessary, cut off rounded tops of cakes.
4. Spoon frosting into large bowl. Add red food color to make desired pink color. Place bowl cake on tray cut side down; spread 1/3 cup frosting over cake. Use frosting to adhere cupcakes to bowl cake for feet and bunny tail. Use toothpicks if necessary. Place marshmallow halves, cut sides down, on tops of 2 cupcakes to make heels of feet. Spread thin layer of frosting over side and top of cake to seal in crumbs. Freeze cake 30 to 45 minutes to set frosting.
5. Spread remaining frosting over cake. Sprinkle with 2 cups of the coconut; press gently to adhere. Shake 1 cup coconut and 3 drops green food color in tightly covered jar until evenly tinted. Surround bunny with tinted coconut. Use rolling pin to press strawberry candies into 2 large rectangles. Cut 2 large ovals and 6 small circles out of candy. Press onto bottoms of bunny feet, using frosting if needed.
6. Roll up fruit snack to make carrot shapes. Cut green sour candies in half crosswise; press into large end of each carrot to make greens on carrot. Cut ears from construction paper; wrap ends that will be inserted into cake with plastic food wrap. Insert into cake. Remove ears, plastic wrap and toothpicks before serving. Store loosely covered.
Wish me good luck!!!!
I will share some pictures tomorrow, hopefully.